Jobs to do………in December
- Continue to add vegetation to the compost heap or bean trench
- Check netting over brassicas
- Continue to check over crops that you have stored from previous months
- Cover late crop vegetables that are not winter hardy such as salads and oriental leaves
- Continue to hoe all weeds where possible
- Dig over the soil if the weather allows and add a thick layer of well rotted manure
- If you haven’t already done so, dig trenches for next spring
- Give the greenhouse a good clean
- Insulate the greenhouse with bubble wrap if you have crops in there
- Scrub pots and seed trays
- Lime your soil if needed
- Order seeds and plant plugs ready for next year
- Prune fruit trees such as pears and apples
- Prune blackcurrant bushes and take hard wood cuttings
- cut Autumn fruiting raspberries down to soil level
- Plant garlic cloves if not already done so
- Harvest any remaining herbs to dry and store
- Construct a new compost bin if you have the time and space
- Don’t forget to feed the birds
- Order seed potatoes
- Pinch out the tips of Autumn planted sweet peas to encourage bushy growth
What to sow………Indoors
- Winter salads
- Summer Cabbages
- Summer Cauliflowers
- Onion seeds for giant varieties
- Parsley (curly leafed)
What to sow………Outdoors
- Autumn onion sets and shallots
What to plant………in December
- Winter salad crops – protected by some sort of cloche
- Plant rhubarb sets
- Fruit bushes are best planted now
- Bare root container-grown trees
Crops in season now
Brussels sprouts (tops)
Above all, have a well earned rest and enjoy the Christmas holiday period!
Nice one!This is very similar to what I did last winter. I didn’t do Jerusalem Artichokes, and I had broccoli growing already, but I do not have any growing this time, so this will help me remember 🙂 Thanks!
Glad to be of service!
Debb this sounds like a very busy month ahead of you. All this to fit in around your Christmas shopping??
Christmas shopping is all done online! I neither have the time or the patience to face the crowds of people around the shopping centres. I like the fact that I can order my goods online in the comfort of my own home and have them delivered at a time that suits me.
Great list… I’ll be checking these ones off over the next few weeks!
Thanks. Glad that you find it useful.