I harvested my first ever home grown cauliflower today so decided to cook it using a family favourite of the classic Cauliflower Cheese. I adapted the recipe quantities for the sauce a little and made extra to top a meal of Stuffed Courgettes with the extra cheese sauce.
1 large cauliflower, broken into pieces
4 tbsp plain flour50g butter
100g strong cheddar , grated
2-3 tbsp breadcrumbs , if you have them
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, then add the cauliflower and cook for 5 mins.
- Drain the cauliflower, then tip into an ovenproof dish.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C/gas 7. Put the saucepan back on the heat and add the milk, flour and butter. Keep whisking fast as the butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil – the flour will disappear and the sauce will begin to thicken.
- Whisk for 2 mins while the sauce bubbles and becomes nice and thick. Turn off the heat, stir in most of the cheese and pour over the cauliflower. Scatter over the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 mins until bubbling.